Monday 28 November 2011

RIP Ken Russell 1927-2011

Just heard on the radio that Ken Russell passed away on Sunday, after suffering a series of strokes.

My two favorite films of his are the rock opera Tommy, and his adaptation of Bram Stoker's Lair of the White Worm.  They would probably appear at opposite ends of any film critic's list, but I think they are both magnificently camp and highly enjoyable.  I'm tempted to pen an adventure based on one of them - no prizes for guessing which one.

Quite sad to read that he found it difficult to get funding for films from the 90s onwards.  I can't help but smile when I try to imagine what else he might have come with and put on film.


3 comments:

  1. Ann Margaret languishing in a large pool of baked beans in "Tommy" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChGxwRq3YcI), and Hugh Grant's highly Freudian dream in "Lair of the White Worm", complete with erectile disfunction pen are part of a whole host of brilliantly funny and outrageous images that I shall continue to cherish.

    Here's the terrible trailer for" Lair of the White Worm"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0hmB_S-cIQ&feature=player_embedded

    ReplyDelete
  2. Altered States, Gothic, and Savage Messiah are my favourites.

    http://osrandom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy crap! Missed this.
    Ken Russell is one of the best modern directors. My wife and I watched Tommy at the local art-house theater this past year. Fantastic movie as are most of his others.

    ReplyDelete